Thursday 1 October 2009

Anti Apartheid


During the Summer I visited the Anti Apartheid Exhibition at The Museum of London as part of research for a summer camp I was planning. After previously visiting Robbin Island (where Mandela was imprisoned) and the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg I thought I had seen it all. However this exhibition took a different stance on things and showed through imagery the campaign from England. The campaign used every means of medium possible including badges, posters, rally's, concerts, stickers, T-shirts, mugs, photographs etc.





For it's time this campaign was extremely impressive. The Posters were clever, powerful & consistent. They targeted the big businesses of the time such as Barclays and Tesco. This negative advertising caused the companies to suffer however much they tried to push their own positive advertisements.

At the end of the exhibition was a wall of drawings on paper T-shirts of people thoughts and opinions of the content of the exhibition. I thought this was a nice finishing touch and I certainly enjoyed my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment